Thursday, October 8, 2009

Today was a very, very important day!

My appointment at Children's Hospital with the neurosurgeon was today. She spoke with mommy and daddy about my head and ear. Dr. Greene said that I have Plagiocephaly. Plagiocephaly? You can see an in-depth explanation here. In simple terms, it is a flatness of the head. In my case, and mommy and daddy had trouble noticing, my head was asymmetrical. That means my right ear was pushed forward a bit on my head and my right forehead and cheekbone were bossed (more prevalent). Wow? How did this happen? Since I was already seven months old, repositioning therapy, was a bit overdue. The NS strongly suggested that we get fitted for a Cranial Remolding Orthosis. We were given some pamphlets and flyers regarding these helmets. They are designed to reshape an infants head to normal shape. Daddy asked, "How much do they cost?", and the NS said "Normally between $2000-$4000. Thats alot! In most cases, the NS said, your health insurance will cover it, but not without a fight. How encouraging! She told us that they insurance companies consider the orthosis to be "cosmetic". However, she also mentioned that Plagiocephaly has been linked to TMJ, headaches, migraines and other social issues. Before we left the office, Daddy made an appointment for 10/16 with DeLatorre Orthotics and Prosthetics, Inc. they specialize in STARband manufactured by Orthomerica.

No comments:

Post a Comment